ER Editor: We also highly recommend this opinion piece from Scottish RT correspondent Rob Lyons from a few days ago, titled The coronavirus scandal becomes criminal: Elderly hospital patients who tested positive WERE discharged BACK into UK care homes.
Of note in the piece below is that pressure was coming from the national public health authority – the NHS no less – to irresponsibly discharge the elderly with covid from hospitals into carehomes. The medical logic is astonishing.
Note that the movement of the elderly was permitted in ONE direction only – from the hospital to the care home. Care home staff were generally not permitted to send sick residents TO a hospital for any reason nor were GPs permitted to treat them in the normal one-on-one fashion.
We also recommend this piece by Ashley Cowburn for the Independent from August 12, titled Care home residents facing prison-like conditions and ‘losing will to live’ since lockdown, MPs hear. Only some care homes have been opened up for family visits since just last month (July). Of note:
The director of R&RA outlined that many residents faced “double isolation” during the lockdown, including isolation from both external contacts and internally from care homes restricting movements and asking residents to remain in their rooms.
“Shared areas would be closed, lack of activities, so that people living in care homes were not getting the support and interactions they would normally get with other residents and with many staff members,” she said.
“If you take away that social element, the social support networks that people have, homes become very different places and sadly many of the callers to our helpline have been telling us that the current situation in care homes is now very much like a prison.”
In evidence submitted to the APPG on coronavirus ahead of the session, Ms Wildbore added: “Isolation is having a devastating impact on mental well-being. We hear of people who become increasingly depressed and withdrawn: they have stopped eating or drinking, lost speech, think their relatives have ‘abandoned’ them or passed away, and have ‘lost the will to live’. Some care users no longer recognise or remember their family and friends”.
“Particularly disturbing for many of our helpline callers has been the part of the guidance which says a care home resident should have one, single, constant visitor, which is just impractical for many people and heartbreaking for many families, who may have two, three, more people who want to visit and provide different types of support.”
It is impossible to believe that highly paid experts and specialists in the medical care field could not have anticipated this.
And this today (August 24) from the Daily Mail on those infamous ‘Do Not Resuscitate’ (DNR) orders imposed on care home residents as well as others who were not in care homes: NHS managers told care homes to put blanket ‘do not resuscitate’ orders on ALL residents at height of Covid crisis, report shows.
The report below is based on this from the Independent by Shaun Lintern. Here is the QNI (Queen’s Nursing Institute) study itself, upon which MSM reporting is based: Major New Survey of Care Home Leaders Confirms Severe Impact of Covid-19.
UK care homes were ‘PUSHED’ to admit Covid-positive and untested patients at height of the outbreak, new survey shows
UK care home staff was “under constant pressure” from the NHS to take in coronavirus-positive and untested patients, while nurses were instructed not to resuscitate them, a new study has revealed.
In a study whose key findings were first published by the Independent, the Queen’s Nursing Institute (QNI) surveyed nurses and managers working in 163 care homes across England, Wales, and Northern Ireland.
The staff at 70 care homes, 43 percent of those surveyed, said that they received patients discharged from hospitals who were not tested for Covid-19 during March and April, when the outbreak first hit the country and peaked. A fifth of care homes said they received patients who tested positive.
The study revealed that, in some cases, seriously ill patents were brought into care homes from the hospitals even when the homes warned that they were incapable of looking after them. One nurse reported “constant pressure to admit people who were Covid-positive.” Another similarly said that “the acute sector pushed us to take untested admission.”
“The two weeks of daily deaths during an outbreak were possibly the two worst weeks of my 35-year nursing career.”
The staff reported that hospitals instructed them to change the status of all residents to “do not resuscitate.” One nurse said that such guidelines would “automatically” apply to all suspected or confirmed Covid-19 patients. Some of the surveyed nurses said that they refused to comply and challenged the instructions as “unethical.”
At the same time, care homes were told that hospitals had a blanket “no admissions” policy during the height of the outbreak.
QNI Chief Executive Crystal Oldman told the paper that the alarming findings were “symbolic” of how the government and the NHS viewed the care home system.
“We were really surprised to see this. These are universal health services. It is completely opposite to the protective ring around care homes that was being talked about at the time.”
Nearly 19,400 care home residents died from Covid-19 in England and Wales between March 2 and June 12, according to the most recent government data. The grim statistics were coupled with multiple reports about care home staff struggling to get vital protective gear, such as masks and gloves.
The death toll in the care sector sparked constant criticism of the government, with Labour Party leader Keir Starmer calling the failure to protect care homes “a national shame.”
Prime Minister Boris Johnson said last month that he took “full responsibility for what has happened,” but argued that the government had done all it could at the time. He said that the situation in the care sector was exacerbated by the fact that “nobody knew early on during this pandemic… that the virus was being passed asymptomatically from person to person.”
The Liberty Beacon Project is now expanding at a near exponential rate, and for this we are grateful and excited! But we must also be practical. For 7 years we have not asked for any donations, and have built this project with our own funds as we grew. We are now experiencing ever increasing growing pains due to the large number of websites and projects we represent. So we have just installed donation buttons on our websites and ask that you consider this when you visit them. Nothing is too small. We thank you for all your support and your considerations … (TLB)
Comment Policy: As a privately owned web site, we reserve the right to remove comments that contain spam, advertising, vulgarity, threats of violence, racism, or personal/abusive attacks on other users. This also applies to trolling, the use of more than one alias, or just intentional mischief. Enforcement of this policy is at the discretion of this websites administrators. Repeat offenders may be blocked or permanently banned without prior warning.
Disclaimer: TLB websites contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available to our readers under the provisions of “fair use” in an effort to advance a better understanding of political, health, economic and social issues. The material on this site is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving it for research and educational purposes. If you wish to use copyrighted material for purposes other than “fair use” you must request permission from the copyright owner.
Disclaimer: The information and opinions shared are for informational purposes only including, but not limited to, text, graphics, images and other material are not intended as medical advice or instruction. Nothing mentioned is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.